Hello everyone! Today am going to be sharing with you how you can prepare your vegetable soup. I am not a foodie but I love cooking a lot. I love trying new things in the kitchen. I would have love to share pictures, showing you step by step of the cooking procedure but am not going to be wasting food, am not a food blogger(just doing it for my foodie/cooking freak followers 😍) but you can hint me if you want me to prepare some candy meals for you and I will gladly do that😊, just get those ingredients ready.
All Images culled from Pinterest
Efo riro is a rich vegetable soup that is common among the Yorubas of Western Nigeria. The vegetables that can be used to cook this soup are water leaves, pumpkin leaves and if you can’t find these where you live, frozen spinach is a substitute. Vegetables are rich and contain Alkaine. It’s a great choice balancing your diet with vegetables.
✔️Assorted meat & fish
✔️Shaki (cow tripe)
✔️Habanero/Scotch bonnet peppers
✔️Onions & Locust beans(I love this two, greatly spicing food, use as much as you can 😆)
✔️Frozen spinach (or any vegetable of your choice)
✔️Stock cubes and Salt(to taste)
You can add other meats or variety of fish to your taste but be careful not to consume too much fat and for the vegetarians you know you don’t need all of those.
Preparation can be boring but it’s necessary, you don’t want to get stocked! (the cooking is fun 😘)
1. Soak the stockfish & dryfish for 10mins in hot water and your shaki (or other preferred meat). When soft, clean the fish, remove the bones and separate them into small pieces.
2. Cut the frozen spinach and wring out the excess water when fully defrosted and if you are using other vegetable chop it into small pieces, add little salt to water and rinse your vegetable with it (you don‘t need to boil your vegetable. you are wasting those vitamins)
3. Prepare other ingredients. Grind/pound/blitz the pepper, tomatoes and onions(slice extra onions and keep aside) and grind the cray fish.
Cook-1hr 10mins (shouldn‘t be more only if 😉)
1. Start cooking the shaki first, it is the toughest meat in the bunch. When the shaki starts to curl, add the dryfish & stockfish.
2. When the shaki is almost done, add beef, stock cube, salt, onions and cook till all the meat and fish are well cooked.
3. Use another sauce pan to high heat your palm oil till the oil turns yellow, add onion/locust beans inside the hot oil and add your grinded pepper, cook for some minutes and add the spinach or any other soft vegetable. Add your sliced onions on the top of the vegetable, add your cooked shaki, dryfish, meat, beef, fish, stockfish, and the smoked fish, crayfish, add other ingredients salt, stock cube, locust beans and be careful not to add too much of salt and stock cube (remember the cooked ingredients) let it cook for 2-3mins(depending on the heat) and you are done😊!
Enjoy your vegetable soup with eba, semolina, amala, pounded yam, boil yam, planitan or any meal of your choice
Thanks for reading! Hope you learn something new? Would you try this? Do you like it? Let me know your views, please comment. Until I come your way again I say I love you😍xoxo
P.S: Please don’t forget to follow my blog(scroll down to see how) Know more about me and let’s connect