In my quest for natural alternatives in both hair and skin care, I’ve become more conscious of things I use on my body, so rather than using store bought creams and lotions filled with harmful chemicals such as parabens, mercury, hydroquinone etc.
I opted for home made creams and butters, that way I’m sure of what gets in.
This recipe for my homemade butter is pretty basic, you can add or substitute ingredients to suit your needs.
Shea butter 1 cup
Coconut oil 1/2 cup
Olive oil 1/2 cup
Vitamin E oil 1 tsp
Essential oils 10-20 drops
- Put the Shea butter in a double boiler to soften it. Don’t allow it to melt.
- Add the coconut oil and olive oil.
- Mix the combination together until well incorporated.
- Continue mixing for about 15 minutes until the mixture is soft and fluffy.
- Add the essential oil and vitamin E oil and mix well.
- Store in a clean glass or plastic container.
- To make a double boiler, fill a pot or pan with water and set on medium heat, place the shea butter in a heat resistant plate or bowl. Now place the bowl containing the shea butter into the pan.
- To whip the shea mixture, a hand mixer is recommended. I however do not have one so I used a thick spoon. I also mixed in fast circular motions. Just the way you beat an egg.
The hair butter is ready when it’s almost double it’s size, is creamy and looks just like freshly made pap or ice-cream.
What do you think about this skin butter, would you try it out? How would you like to make yours? Leave your thoughts.
Until I come your way again I say I love you.